Friday, September 9, 2011

Fun Fact

Photo: Pinterest
So for as much as I complain about my job and all things that I hate about it, I must say I meet some pretty interesting people and for those few that I have met it definitely makes up for the millions of miserable people that I do put up with. The other day I was walking into an elderly mans room. Actually he wasn't that old probably around 70. Anyway I put his tray down and said his name (I have to do this for every patient to ensure they are receiving the right trays) however he responded no that's not my name (even though I knew it was he played this trick on me the day before). Now I hate when patients play this game it's extremely annoying and I do not find it funny when they play tricks. It's actually kind of serious and crucial that I make sure they are getting the right tray of food since everyone is on a specific diet. I jokingly laughed and said haha no you really are Mr. So and So. He then went on to tell me he would not be eating his dinner, which quite frankly I did not blame him, but put it down anyway quoting what I say to every patient who does this, "I'll just leave it here in case you get hungry later, look at the nice fill in the blank you have to eat" with his particular "fill in the blank" all that looked decent was a peach. When I said peach he laughed at me and said "you call that a peach? it looks more like a rock". I couldn't agree more with him it was a sad, small, little peach. Well Mr. So and So then went on to tell me he used to be a peach farmer in Georgia, and that the peach is the only fruit that once it is picked does not ripen, it only gets soft and mushy. So apparently if you want to eat a great peach you need to wait till the exact perfect timing to harvest them or else you will wind up with rock hard peaches that just get soft and mushy. Who knew?! I thought it was a pretty interesting fact and the guy was pretty cool too. However not as cool as the 95 year old man next door who insisted he wear his ray bans all day, so whenever I walked into the room I never knew if he was sleeping, dead or just watching TV. Bonus was his name was Royal.

For more all things peach, below are some delish peach recipes! And some peachy things to end the week!

Grilled Corn Peach and Basil Salsa

Juicy Peach Margaritas










And Of Course, James and the Giant Peach








No comments:

Post a Comment